Back in the day I’d constantly make mix tapes. Whenever I had the time, I’d drag out the extra CD player, the second hand Radio Shack two-channel mixer — maybe the old turntable — and lay down a curated audio cassette. Usually 90 minutes, unless I felt ambitious enough to tackle 120.
Sure, it was wasted effort — especially if you effed up the crossfade into the last song. But it was a choice to go beyond pressing play and record; like cooking with organic ingredients or rolling your own.
Even though a digital version isn’t quite the same, I decided to copy a real music blog and put one together anyway. It’s primarily stuff that’s recently been posted on the blog, with some random favorites pulled from the current rotation.
The mix is a single track intended for sampling purposes only.. please listen and purchase what you like. Apologies for the size of the file — I’ll make it more manageable next time.
Here’s the link and the tracklist. Enjoy:
old waver january 2011 mix tape (169MB file)
- Pure Radio Cosplay – …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
- Corner Of The Sky – Cut Copy
- Chains – Gatekeeper
- Synchronize – Discodeine
- Mad About the Boy – The Radio Dept.
- Whirring – The Joy Formidable
- Christopher Columbus – Gruff Rhys
- Mongk II – British Sea Power
- Rocketships – Menkena
- Quiet Life – Japan
- Blame The Machines – Duran Duran
- Frozen Forest – CFCF
- For Sweet Dave (In The Future) – Teen Daze
- Mexican Grand Prix – Mogwai
- Come On Let’s Go – Broadcast
- Shook Down – Yuck
- End of the Night – Smith Westerns
- Not A Friend – Cat’s Eyes
Lower quality streaming version